Tuesday, June 14, 2005

my first blog ever

I know I keep writing about me being a new blogger blah blah, but really, I tried once already. It was at Myspace.com, an invite I got from my friend Larry at Anderson's so that we could send each other trivia quizzes at work (he works in children's at the back of the store, I'm in adult at the front--otherwise we could only communicate in morse code or hand signals). The things I do like about Myspace is the template to design your own page are way cool, lots of bands have their own blogs (like Death From Above 1979, and today I saw that Billy Corgan--!?!--has a blog on Myspace, I wonder what the fuck he writes about. Well, I guess I could find out), and there are a lot of options of things you can do (blog, email, etc). However, my main qualm with Myspace is the friend-counting. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I think it's weird to count your friends, especially online friends, half of whom may not exist in the form you think they do (i.e. your cool friend "Elise" might be 33 year old part-time janitor Ed who lives in his parents basement--wait, I still live with my parents, not in the basement, but still!). And I really haven't been putting a lot of time into the Myspace thing, so everytime I visit it, which isn't very, I always have two friends. I feel like I'm at the gradeschool lunchroom table, bartering my pb sandwich for friends: guys, I know I'm cool! Just gimme a chance! So I'm kind of not caring too much about Myspace since I've found free cheapo blogger. BUT here was the first entry I ever did:

Monday, April 11, 2005

how very
Holy crap, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I feel so lame, and yet I'm kind of excited and terrified. It's strange to write when you're not quite sure who your audience is. Like a glorified diary, but you're consciously aware that others are looking at it. I was obsessed with diarying (there I go making up words again) when I was younger, I have literally hundreds of spirals filled in code about junior high happenings, who wore my Gap shirt, etc. It was all crap really, but I thought it was very incredibly important. It may be a bad idea that I'm starting to blog, especially with no set topic in mind; I could basically write to myself all day. I guess I'm a pretty sucky writing graduate, I barely ever do it. Except when I have these bursts of desire to write, and I do, in various forms, and then it kind of fizzles out again. So I may never write on this blog again, or maybe in like two months I will. I'm at my store right now, and oh yes, I do own it. My operating title is CSE, coordinator of social events, which for those who don't know, is a pretty high-profile position. That means I made a rad flyer in the style of precious moments and am forcing everyone at my store to meet for drinks at a pub on Thursday night. I think it should be fun. Hopefully, we'll all get sauced and argue about books. Right now, I'm reading this book about prep school that appropriately enough, has one of those preppy J. Crew-ish belts on the front, those pastel stripes that look straight out of mid-80s Izod? I wonder if this is what prep school is truly like. I realize the amount of liberties taken with fiction, but there must be some degree of reality. I think about my friend Anna's experiences, after she was kicked out public school, when she went to boarding school and used to drop acid at soccer practice and go on crazy adventure runs with her team. HOw is that possible? Oh, I was also reading the latest Rolling Stone mag and it's centerpiece is a "children of rock legends" story. A major interview was with Jerry Garcia's daughter (with some one-named hippy like Moondance or something) and she was talking about how her parents' friends basically tripped while doing everything, like cooking spaghetti or whatevs, so it was such a chill, natural experience, none of the "dudeman, the walls are waving in rainbow colors" business you probably see at prep school. Daughter Garcia also was friends with Tupac during her rebellious phase of high school, and she had him over for a giant house party when her dad was away. Jerry didn't even confront her about the damage done to their house; he wrote her a note that said, "if you're going to have people over, please limit it to under five hundred" or something to that effect. Hah hah, a Tupac house party. So I just realized that no one can read this blog unless you're part of myspace, and since I only know Larry, I basically am writing to myself. I'm going to test it on Will and see if he can get here.

Oh, I just realized I typed that at the computer at Anderson's and yesterday Don was like, you better "blog" while you can bc this computer is getting taken out of here. And I told him I was probably responsible for that, but we both know that the people who work at night surf the internet all shift long. All right, well, I have a ton of errands to run today: copy place, Hobby Lobby (!), maybe I'll go get a manicure with kim in dt LG. Maybe I'll post again later. Kind of weird that I already know I could (how do I have this much to write about?!).

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was wondering who did the black flag impersonation in LOD. They were good. It was keith morris black flag though, not henry rollins black flag. they played nervous breakdown. it was pretty rad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home