Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Paintings by Jack Vettriano


"Someone Else's Baby"

I think the title says it all. Reminds me of a Hemingway short story, "Hills Like White Elephants" where they discuss abortion without bringing it up at all.
"Only the Deepest Red II"

I love how Vettriano's paintings are 1940s-tinted. And from the looks of her platform shoes, she probably would have been considered a whore in the 40s.

"Lazy Hazy Days"

This makes me think of the Great Gatsby for some reason...and I'm sad to see the lazy hazy days of summer make way for the brisk, cool days of fall. I don't know if anyone was out at 7am this morning, but it was fucking cold. Like November cold.

"In Thoughts of You"

I love that time when you can get lost in your thoughts thinking of someone. Some call it daydreaming; I call it time well-spent.

"Night Geometry"

This is hot.


"Elegy for a Dead Admiral"

This is one of the more mass-produced pieces of Vettriano's work, but nevertheless I like the series that features dressed-to-the-nines couples brunching on a glimmering surface of water, or dancing with a butler holding an umbrella over their heads, or catching glimpse of their reflection in a tidal pool.

"Dance Me to the End of Love"

I absolutely swoon over the name of this painting. And the concept of waltzing in the moonlight by the seashore. I wish I lived in a time when it was acceptable to wear long white gloves.

7 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Tommie Shefsky said...

Cool post sar. Is this guy contemporary? Wanna go to Trader Todd's tonight. It's my mom's bday and she's forcing me to get wasted and sing. Call me

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's contemporary...he's got a bunch of prints at the portland gallery of art.

Too bad we didn't hit up trader todd's but it was good to see you and Rita and Maura and Joe. Are you around on Friday? Working?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger kit said...

Its always acceptable to wear long white gloves. Listen to your heart whispers...

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Tommie Shefsky said...

I'll be working friday night but I might end up doing something. Gimme a call.

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i like the elegy one and of course that's the only one i recognize cause like you said, it's more mass-produced. But i don't think it's a couple brunching. I always saw it as a sad women alone since the rest of the other guys are there to serve her...but seriously, i don't know a thing about art. I just know what i like and don't like. see you saturday!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Bishai said...

it's acceptable to wear those gloves, but you have to be in the process of artificially inseminating a cow.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Alison Kidd said...

I saw (from your Blog) that you are keen on the art of Jack Vettriano.

I am doing some research on what people like about his work.

Would you be willing to fill out a short survey for me? It’s here: www.vettriano.research-on-art.com

There is a prize draw of a Vettriano print or canvas of your choice.

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home