Saturday, July 16, 2005

BARBS-e-que tonight/tomorrow

Realized I don't have to babysit tonight, so I'm going to be preparing care packages (oops, I mean hate packages; I almost wrote "hatah" instead, as in "playa hata") and anticipating Katie getting off work.

I'm still planning on having a grill-out, but I also still don't know how to work the grill. We might have frozen pizzas in the oven instead--I know can do that. I wrote yesterday that I wanted RSVP's but today I don't care...you can even just show up at my house if you want. Who am I kidding? It'll be me and Katie, wino-style having a dance party.

And that sounds so fun! My ears are still ringing from Tom Petty, and from screaming in our wedding party-limo (it was white and had ceiling track lighting in neon purple, but a prettty nice bar area). Two limo experiences come to mind: 1) being a flower girl in my uncle Mike and aunt Leona's wedding in the '80s--they were total rockers and the bridesmaid wore red satin dresses! Me and my cousin Mary got to ride in the limo with the bridal party, but the rest of our girl cousins hated us bc we were "picked" to be flower girls. Whatevs, we were 5--I hope this is water under the bride now; 2) when high school girlfriends (me, Katie, Maura, and Dacia) rented a limo for King of Hearts--we went stag bc we didn't feel like finding a boy to ask--and sang "Jessie's Girl" like it was fucking going out of style. And yes, I realize Rick Springfield IS out of style; not in my mind though. That is (one of many) great moments in "Boogie Nights", when Dirk realizes how fucked up his life is at the awesome mix tape guy's coke pad.

Back to TP (Tom Petty, not toilet paper): I did cry during "Crawling back to you" bc it reminded me of my roommate in Portland, Karen, and how much she loved Tom Petty, and we almost saw him at the Gorge together (she ended up going with her Grants Pass, OR friends and I couldn't move out to Portland fast enough--it was summer, and I had to keep working before starting school). I remember driving around together before fall semester started at Lewis & Clark, and we were sophomores (god did we feel cool). We listened to that song a lot, and when I heard it last night, I did cry. I don't think I've talked to her in years. And I thought of road trips to the Oregon coast, and me, Rob, Artie, Cash, Karen, Andrea and Dave all agreeing on Tom Petty...he's a great neutralizer for car trips. I miss Portland.

Important: I finally bought another copy of the Napoleon Dynamite soundtrack since I left it at Katie's house on one of those Scrabble nights, and never saw it again. We think it spontaneously combusted. But I get to listen to that great Figurine song again ("my mascara's running down my cheeks/I haven't left the house in over a week") and then this other song with a lyric I like ("everytime you're sad/someone is sadder than you")....oh and then there's Jamiroquai! And When In Rome! Great disc and I'm so happy to have it at my disposal again.

Got candy in my heels tonight, baby.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I'm so glad you've visited my blog...I'm sorry I haven't called. Life is chaotic lately, wonderfully chaotic, so we might have to write back & forth until next week when things slow down (a bit) for me.

I loved your haiku (?)--was it a haiku? All I did in poetry class was draw lewd notes and pictures next to you, try to seduce that kid from Kappa who quit drinking (what was his name?), and attempt to sniff Scott Ward's "pepsi in a giant mug."

is your site up and running yet? I mean blogger site?

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.lightchanel.com][img]http://www.lightchanel.com/images/banners/chanel-mini-flap-bags.jpg alt="chanel bags" title="cheap chanel handbags"[/img][/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home