Thursday, July 21, 2005

fundraising day + New Yorker cartoon captions

My manager at Anderson's, Don, entered the New Yorker cartoon caption weekly contest and his caption was one of three finalists!

I told him that I would spread the word to get votes swung his way [is swung a word? I don't think I've heard it used in the past tense very often] and I checked out the New Yorker's site today, a little later than I had originally intended. He is the finalist in contest #9, and at the moment, they're tallying the votes, to be released July 25. Here's the link: http://www.newyorker.com/captioncontest/

but I can't quite figure out how to vote. Am I retard? Er, at least more retarded than normal days? So vote if you can figure out how to do it; or enter yourself, it seems kind of fun, if you're a word nerd. Or just a smart bastard.

Steph's post made my millenium. I was convinced Bloc Party wouldn't be touring the States for a while, since when me and Maura were leaving Paris at the end of Eurotrip 05, they were all over England, doing those giant open-air festivals and college/universities, etc. I put on "Silent Alarm" and I'm FA-reaking that I will get to see them live. And I might have a seizure if I try to dance; that drumming is so intense! God, I can't wait. I'm pretty sure I'm going alone though, unless anyone decides to get their act together. Maybe I'll see Brad there and we can duel over the legitimacy of Bloc Party. I will win of course.

So for the rest of the day, until I have to work at Anderson's, I'm doing major fundraising for 826CHI. Oh, and if you're in a surf-y kind of mood, check out their website: http://www.826chi.org/

and save your calendars for Sept. 22 (also my mom's bday)--the first 826CHI event. You might have to pay to get in though, I'm not sure what kind of "event" this is yet. I volunteered to sell cookies by the door, but then realized that this isn't an LTHS pep rally, and we need funding for new stitching on the cheerleaders' uniforms.

5 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger SES said...

(sigh) if only the New Yorker was called "New Jack-off City"...you'd be their top columnist for sure.

those made me laugh so hard--I'm actually sitting in the basement of Anderson's but thank heaven Don's not here.

He actually would have like those, especially the lemur one. Who doesn't like lemurs?

His was something like, "Simple. I just put my pants on backwards."

in the spirit of a stache-growing contest (which I guess I could try to join, maybe switch the mood stabilizers for some testosterone injections and I'm set!)...let's enter these cartoon captions all the time, and the first person to get some recognition does...something...not sure what yet. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

....and....GO!

p.s. I don't want to hear anything about hot beef injections either

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are the prizes for winning? I gotta start submitting my captions...oh wait, mine aren't funny.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger SES said...

are you kidding? have gary black & white-ize that picture of Garfield at the cubs game, and say he switched to beer from lasagna...

or something...

god that sucked. It's hard to be deliberately funny.

Maybe SS's aren't New Yorker material. Now, the "New Jack-off City"--I'd love to work for them.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm in. i'll enter every one. and win mother f'ers!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i submitted. say hello to the next winner.

i'm kinda a big deal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home