Saturday, August 27, 2005

quotable quotes

I'm at my bookstore, land of quotable quotes. Right now, I could go to any shelf I feel like and whip out some James Joyce snippets or Jon Stewart one-liners for everyone reading.

But I've decided to venture to greeting card ville, and find some good, sappy, inspirational quotes for all to enjoy:

[editor's note: I meant to post a video of an interview with Rick James (bitch!) but blogger download didn't like the wpm format, so here's the link and you can enjoy it at your own leisure:
jamesbrown.wmv ]

"My life seemed normal until I described it to someone once."
[Tell me about it, girlfriend.]

"When things go wrong, don't go with them."
[If only it was that easy!]

"Friends are ordinary people. But with sprinkles."
[I'd like a scoop of that's gay with cheese, please.]

"Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us."
--Oscar Wilde
[I wish you were still alive! You & Elton John would totally love each other. You'd probably dance on the Ellen show too.]

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
[My customer service mantra here at Anderson's. Since I'm not that important.]

"I do wish I could tell you my age, but it's impossible. It keeps changing all the time."
--Greer Garson
[I do love broads with double initial-names, they always seem to have the best quotable quotes.]

"The difficulty with marriage is that we fall in love with a personality, but must live with a character."
--Peter De Vries
[If I hadn't already bought my rents an anniversary card, this would be it. Instead of this killer quote, I got them some lame card from Jewel's 99 cent card section.]

"Friendship is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you reall haven't learned anything."
--Muhammad Ali
[So true. Wish he didn't have Parkinson's and was still living fight to fight, full of quotable quotes the whole way. His daughter Layla kicks ass though.]

"If we discovered that we only have five minutes left to say all that we wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people calling other people to stammer that they loved them."
--Christopher Morley
[Wow. This one makes me want to cry a little. But I'm at work, so I won't.]

"I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don't have to."
--Albert Einstein
[Oh Al, you so crazay! But brilliant.]

"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
[He really spent some good quality time out there in the woods with Ralph, Waldo, and Emerson!]

"A friend is a second self."
--Aristotle
[Like a secret sharer.]

"Live so that your friends can defend you, but never have to."
--Arnold Glasgow.
[Hmmm...I think I warrant a lot of defense, and I'm trying to work on that.]

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
--Dorothy Nevill
[Another lesson I'm trying to learn. This quote can basically sum up my summer.]

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."
--Katherine Mansfield
[If you're reading this, you're my true friend. Or are you? Did you call me on my birthday? Then we're not true friends.]

And to end...

"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."
--George Bernard Shaw
[Had trouble of thinking of an SES quotable quote, so I'll take a page from Katie's blog: Whatevs!]

I hope you're feeling very inspired. This is how I feel at work when, surrounded by crazy amounts of self-discovery-themed greeting cards and special gifts, I have to filter out the shit Mary Engelbreit quotes, and find the good beneath all this commercial crap.

have a nice day!
[said in a totally ridiculous whatevs! voice]

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger the homunculus said...

that link don't work!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, whoops. I guess I really don't know how to do those things; I took it from an email?

Um, just watch re-runs of "Chappelle's Show" instead?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home