Sunday, September 18, 2005

life-altering news

This is how I used to watch tv. After flipping through 14 channels for 23 years of my life, a good majority of which are foreign language tv (i.e. Italian cooking shows, Korean game shows, Spanish soap operas), I would get so bored I would settle for "everybody loves raymond" or sometimes even "frasier." I know, I'm embarrassed too.


This is how I'll soon be watching tv...that's right, today is a day that goes down in the Skerrett family record books: We. Got. Cable.

Or maybe that doesn't convey excitement: We! Got! CABLE! I'm also a bit terrified, because after growing up a tv-head with public television, I feel like my life will be altered dramatically now that I have access to a billion channels, or at least what seems like a billion channels. I'll no longer be able to make up my mind and will end up flipping channels, not being able to choose a show because I'll feel like I'm missing 12 other good shows.

Convenient that I'm moving out, and will only be able to enjoy the spoils of cable for two weeks. I think this was planned by Kar & Rog, so I'm trying not to feel too bitter. Especially since my mom is also buying a new car this week?! And my brother is going to buy the Jeep from them?! Things are-a changin at the Skerretts but I feel like I missed the train.

My Sundays have now been weird two weeks in a row. Today I listened to "Power, Corruption, & Lies" (which, I agree with Dan Schneider, is probably one of New Order's best) while painting a file cabinet (yellow!) on my back porch. It's going to go in my new apartment, whenever I finally move in. Normally, I would feel very Martha Homemaker-crossed-with-Bob Villa while completing a task such as this. But today I had a lot of strange thoughts on my brain.

For example, now that my hair is dark again, I was thinking about Betty & Veronica of Archie comics fame, which I read religiously in my childhood. Okay, sometimes I still glance over them when I'm waiting in line at the checkout counter while grocery shopping.

I always idolized Betty, since she's so wholesome, tomboyish, and fun, but always felt like I acted more like Veronica, the heinous brunette bitch with an extensive wardrobe. When I was younger, I always thought, who the hell would want to date Veronica? She is like the least likable character, especially when compared with the cute blonde Betty (who can also cook like nobody's business; that's sometimes how she got in Archie's favor). But then I remembered: Reggie Mantle! HE will always be after Veronica, even though there's that weird dynamic of the love triangle between Betty-Veronica-Archie. Like when Archie decides he likes Betty this week, Veronica automatically goes to the Sadie Hawkins dance with Reggie, who is always her old standby. Now that I'm thinking about it, Reggie is pretty much after everyone: Midge, Moose's girl; Betty, when she's not with Archie. In the realworld Riverdale, he'd probably be after Jughead too because I mean, who doesn't love a guy that can stomach that much food and cares so much about a dog named Hot Dog?

See what I mean? A pretty strange thoughts day for me...and thinking about going to the career tomorrow isn't exactly making me excited. On the plus-side, I get to start decorating my good-sized cubicle. Which means insane amounts of Mulligan pics everywhere.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have recently undergone a similar transition. I got a TV after 3 months sans TV. But wait until you see this fucking thing. I plan to blog about it once my next roll of pics is developed.

and i can't get enough. i stayed up till 4am this morning watching some PBS show on jungle life in sumatra!

i WISH i had cable.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cable is the best/worst thing that could happen to you (heck, the best/worst thing that can happen to anyone)! It's so damn good that it draws you in so you can't take your eyes off of it, then you're neglecting your school work and that boyfriend that you used to have but aren't sure anymore, and cable becomes your best friend, you stay up late talking, gossiping about that crush you have on Johnny but Johnny doesn't like you because he's actually never met you because you're always inside watching Cable and he's actually that dreamy kid on 90210 at 4:00 a.m. so he doesn't even exist, and then you start to lose track of reality vs. Cable world and then you find yourself worrying about that guy on the Real World who had AIDS and now he's dead and you can't believe it plus what's going on with DJ and Steve, like are they still dating or what, and then you can't believe that you missed an entire week of your life because it was a Law and Order marathon and then a What Not To Wear marathon and soon enough you're old and shriveled (not because of age but because of the radiation from your TV because you want to be as close to Cable as you possible can) and it endes up killing you, alone and feeble, and they find you dead, hugging the old black and white TV because Cable is the only friend you've ever really known. *Tear*

Enjoy! Maybe we can still text eachother since both of our lives will now revolve around Cable. Oh wait, I broke my phone. Well, that's just more time for Cable! (I have three of Cable's babies, he's fantastic.)

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cable's baby momma: *many tears* I followed every word of that diatribe, and felt my heart soar, then crash horribly down when I realized that our lives WILL revolve around cable....

when I get my new apt, I plan on avoiding cable for at least a few months, or until I tire again of late night "Elimidate" hours

and Tommy, keep watching PBS so that when I move into my apt, and watch tv with the crappy color model my parents are giving me, we can compare notes on Masterpiece Theater and Kratt's Creatures...I only get to taste cable for two more weeks, and I'm avoiding it like the plague!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home