Sunday, September 11, 2005

Target shopping spree!

I decided to treat myself to a Target shopping spree since I'm starting my new career tomorrow, and will need to dress the part. I've already got a bunch of careerwear and powerpumps, but the suburban girlfriends keep coming back from Target with great stuff and I've stayed away for so long...well, today was my day.

I dropped way too much money, and even put some impulse wants back on the shelves (a killer purse, this beautiful floppy hat I couldn't imagine wearing much in public, a pair of cropped pants that probably didn't fit anyway--the available sizes were only 3 and 17, and I am neither. I hate when that happens, when you want something real bad, and they only have a crapload of sizes that aren't remotely close to yours).

I bypassed accessories, thankfully, to beeline to the music section. Last night, when Steph and I discussed Hilary Duff for a second, I was really thinking I would go out and buy "Most Wanted" today, her greatest hits album. And let me just say I feel like the laziest piece of shit alive that this tween has a greatest hits album before she's even turned 18. And she has like a 25 year old boyfriend! God, she's so much cooler than me.

Immediately, I grabbed Kanye's "College Dropout" since I've been meaning since forever to buy that album. I can't wait. Then I can follow up with "Late Registration" after I'm schooled in the ways of Kanye.

Another cd I was certain I wanted was Common's "Be" and I've listened to his older albums, and I just like what he's about. My friend Anna really likes this cd, and I always trust her musical opinion.

My next stop was the grrl power section, where I saw my old friend Kelly Clarkson, some new tweens I'd never heard of, and...Hilary Duff. As I was holding her cd in my hand, I began to question what the hell I was doing. BUYING the Hilary Duff cd? So I can listen to her and her sister cover "Our Lips Are Sealed"? Then I heard Steph's voice in my head, that she looks like an alien on heroin, and she really is trying to be punk when she's not...and I put the cd back on the shelf. I couldn't rationalize spending money on this, a pretty pricey cd full of Disney-commericalized hits. I take back my comment that Hilary is my new Kelly; no way.

But I returned to Avril Lavigne, whom I've always had a soft spot for. I used to own "Under My Skin" in the fall of 2004 (somehow it's been misplaced--read: Le Chris totally stole it), and I used to listen to it on my way to work. I got in a number of fender benders while listening to Avril Lavigne, but probably because I was trying to light hitters at the same time. I know she's also fake punk in a way, but to the degree of fame, who isn't? I like that she tells boys to get out of my head, get off of my bed, yeah that's what I said. Or when she's like, "Got you in my pants/I'll have to kick your ass/make you never forget." And I love when she holds notes like cry-eeee-yiy-eeee-yiy, that rules.


I can't wait to listen to my cds on the way to my career tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous! But not really. Just ready to start and go nuts making dials, but it's...Sunday.

5 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"incomprobably" is a pretty neat invented word though...

completely agree about Missy. Could she get any cooler?

I'm obsessed with "Lose Control"...and I think I might just burn that trance anthem you mentioned, I have a feeling I'll get obsessed with that too.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jeff Schneider said...

thanks for the pic you sent. a nice moment captured. where are you working?

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Tommie Shefsky said...

I love buying CDs but I can never buy more than one at a time because I always end up hating one. This rule also applies to jeans- if you buy 2 pairs at once you will ALWAYS hate one of them

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you see that avril wrote one of KC's songs, i think the title track.

screw hillary duff. i already did.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger SES said...

oh my god, you guys are all blowing my mind...

and tommy's screwing hilary!

my career seminar had me watching powerpoint presentations and listening to HR schpiels all day, so I wasn't by a computer like I thought I'd be.

blog-monkeying around will come next week...!!

I'll be sure to post soon on it, since Rudy already emailed me with some useful career tips. He mentioned tons of relevant buzzwords that I'll totally use in my acronym heavy work environment

A-ron, I'm emailing you ASAP!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home